mod_perl: Better than CGI
- A plug-in to the Apache Web server that provides
a persistent Perl interpreter, built into the Web server.
- mod_perl is a project of the
Apache Software Foundation
- Compared to CGI, mod_perl offers better speed and the
availability of persistently open files and database connections.
- Variables may be associated with transactions spanning
- Some very popular sites, including Slashdot and Wired, use
- Any Perl CGI program will run faster with mod_perl, without
changes, simply by using a built-in interpreter
- By adding additional mod_perl code, programs may be
enhanced to maintain open files, database connections, and
- The main issue is that mod_perl version 2 doesn't
interoperate safely with Apache version 2. This will
be fixed soon, we hope.
UAF Computer Science
Prof. Greg Newby