CS 471 - Software Engineering
Fall 2011 Exam #1
Due Monday October 24 by 5pm
You may use any resource (book, internet, notes, etc) as long as
you complete this exam by yourself.
Document any sources you use and make it clear what you have written
and what you are using from other sources.
Turn in your exam during class or e-mail it to me by 5pm on Monday
This is a writing-intensive class, so part of your grade will
be based on the clarity and style of your writing.
My length estimates are only a guideline.
You should focus on high content-to-word ratio (e.g. an answer that
provides the same information in 1 page is better than an answer that
takes 3 pages to provide the same information.)
- Find 3 different large-scale software development projects of at least $100
million that have failed in the past 5-10 years. For each project:
- Give a summary of the project. (1-2 paragraphs) (5 points)
- Why was it considered a failure? (1-2 paragraphs) (5 points)
- Give your expert opinion on why and where those failures occurred.
(2-4 paragraphs) (5 points)
- Could the project have been sucessful or was it doomed to failure?
(1-2 paragraphs) (5 points)
- Research the NYC CityTime automated payroll project.
- Give a summary of the project. (2-4 paragraphs) (5 points)
- Was it finished/will it be finished? (2-4 paragraphs) (5 points)
- For each of the two software requirements documents we covered, DONOR and TSUNAMI,
- How well did the authors summarize the problem? (1-2 paragraphs) (5 points)
- How complete are the requirements? Give some examples of incomplete
and/or ambiguous requirements. (1-2 paragraphs) (5 points)
- How complete are the non-functional requirements? Give some specific
examples. (1-2 paragraphs) (5 points)